Roosevelt Island Tram

So I lived on Roosevelt Island for 6 months.  I was at the hospital there, doing inpatient physical therapy, rehabbing from a accident in 2007.  In the time I was there, my husband would visit me sometimes by taking the subway, and sometimes by taking the tram over from Manhattan.  I figured it would make a good little trip for Unseen NYC.  We were going to go to the Southern end and check out the Renwick Ruins but we went in the afternoon, and it was a very breezy day, so I will have to dress a lot warmer next time and go a little earlier.  Definitely a nice afternoon trip, and a really nice time!


The tram heading to Manhattan...

The Queensboro Bridge

Looking north again, Manhattan on the left

The Northern 1/2 of Roosevelt Island

Right underneath the bridge


Looking North right as the tram was leaving...
A very short commute, maybe 3 minutes (if that) from the closing of the doors in Manhattan to the opening of the doors on Roosevelt Island.  We walked to Starbucks, had some hot chocolate, and went to Nonno's Focacceria for a slice since it was dinner time.  A very nice place to visit, away from the "hustle and bustle" of NYC.  It is it's own little town.  There is a Main Street, and besides the Starbucks and the Italian restaurant, there is a grocery store, a Duane Reade, a deli, a post office, one or two schools, a hair salon, and some churches.  I know there is more, but I was just going from memory.  A lot of apartment buildings, and Coler-Goldwater Hospital, too.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME PICS YOU HAVE SHARED WITH US I LIKE IT..
    THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US..

    Olathe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the pictures! I went a few years ago and rode the trolly around the island. It really does make for a lovely day trip...you feel as though you have left NYC, but you still have those fantastic views of both Manhattan and Queens!

    ReplyDelete