Children's Museum of Manhattan

Today was Target Free Friday from 5 to 8 pm.  I have never seen a place so crowded with children before.  I can honestly say this is the first time I have not enjoyed myself, but it's not because the museum was bad. On the contrary, the museum was really nice, beautifully designed, kid friendly (thank goodness) and roomy.  But my kids are 10 and 14, a little old for this type of activity, as there were tons of tots running around, and since it was free, it was PACKED...




The little kids were having a blast, on the first floor was a really cool Greek exhibit that my kids enjoyed very much.  Unfortunately, that was the only thing they liked about the place.  Upstairs on the third floor, there was a play area kind of divided up by the kids ages, and on t he toddler side there was this really cool looking chalk board.  Lots of kids playing and having a good time...




So we went back down to the Greek exhibit, and there were stations for the kids to check out, about Greek writing and art, and pottery, and there was a display about the Greek gods, and a quiz to take to find out which god you would be.  My 14 year old got Zeus.  My 10 year old got pushed out of the way before she was able to figure hers out.  There was also a really cool looking Trojan horse structure for the kids to climb on and in...



These are the only pictures I got, and we were there for maybe 15 minutes total.  I asked for a map, and was told that there was a map at the elevator.  I prefer to have a map in my hand, so I can see where things are at any given time, and not have to go to the elevator.  Strollers are put in the coat check, so it's just kids running amok.  I'm sure it's not that busy and hectic when people actually have to pay to get in, but I am glad that I went when it was free to figure out that my kids are too old for this kind of thing.  I would have been upset to pay and figure out that 95% of the stuff was for smaller kids.   The cost of admission was $10 per person.

We ended up going to the Barnes and Noble around the corner and getting some Mocha Frappuchinos, then down to H & H Bagels and grabbing some bagels before the subway ride home.  So not the best time AT the museum, but we can pretty much make it a good night anywhere as long as there are other places to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment